Sunday 6 March 2011

Back to Basics

I was having a frustrating time getting images that I saw as good enough (ie outstanding).  One of the reasons for my disquiet was that I had no idea what should be possible, given indifferent light.  So I found some bryum capillare 'in fruit' in a situation where it was possible to set up a stable tripod, use a focussing rack, use LED light, and keep the wind off.  The best of the results are shown.  I think these represent the present limit of what I can achieve with my cameras.

The aperture here was set at f/16, and the shutter speeds achieved were typically 1/60 sec.  This suggests that I was already near the practical limit in my original images of the moss garden.  To do better I would have to wait for better natural light or use flash.

This doesn't absolve me of the need to get good photographs of the moss garden - the whole ethos of the current project is to provide an artistic photo-record of the field and the wood, which includes the moss garden.  I want to prove that this small patch of land can provide everything needed for a one complete photographic portfolio  

No comments:

Post a Comment