Wednesday 23 February 2011

Getting to Grips with the Moss Garden

This is the starting point: a straightforward macro image, with a magnification of 2X.  The fruiting heads are those of bryum capillare.

Now some LED torchlight has been introduced, which allows a magnification of 3X.  I don't think I need more magnification than this: - I like to give my subject room within the picture.

Now the camera has been weighed down with a heavy chain.  Magnification is 3X.

There is still some way to go.  To get an acceptable shutter speed I am using an ISO of 1600 and an aperture of f/7.1  Good images  would really need another two stops, to allow an ISO of 800 and a aperture of f/10.  The options are to do a better job of keeping the camera steady without a tripod, or to introduce  more light.  (I am reluctant to use flash in the field).

I need to work on that miniature tripod . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment